Friday, February 4, 2011

What's My Excuse?

Jill has asked us her third question-Why you put PIGS and UFOs to the side . 
I think one reason is time.  I'm sure I could get lots done if I'd sew 15 minutes here and there but I seem to be the kind of person who needs to work at something for longer than that.  It just doesn't feel as though I'm getting anything accomplished in short increments.  I also seem to have more ideas than time...hence the stash!

Another reason would be that I dislike doing borders.  Maybe because I don't really have a nice place to lay a quilt top out without scrubbing and sanitizing the floor(kinda kidding on the sanitizing part but not really!  Farms are messy!)  I guess this also applies to basting.  I don't really like to do that either!

OK...one more excuse reason:  I start something, realize I don't really like doing it and lay it aside promising myself when I get more time I'll finish it(see reason #1).  This seems to be mainly applique and 'fancy' work.  For now I'm all about piecing and this is supposed to be my hobby-relaxing and fun-so if it isn't, I lose interest fast! 

I figure someday when I retire(and I don't want to wish my life away, so I can wait for that)I figure I'll get more done!  One thing is for sure, I won't have a lack of things to do!

Now if I could just figure out why the laundry never gets done.....

5 comments:

Linda Lee said...

I love your reasons!!! I agree--with the 15 minute theory. It hardly seems worth it to sew 15 minutes.

I TOTALLY understand with placing the quilt top on the floor. City/town gals don't understand that our homes are: farm coffee shops/ snack counters/ vet supply shop/ gathering spot for farmers and their friends/ fast food stop!

I need someone to teach me how to applique! I have started projects- then find it requires applique and I "chicken" out!!

Are your guys Steeler fans??

Tracy said...

Yes, it's a totally different world on a farm!
We aren't football fans at all! So I really can't say what team we would like! I'd rather read or quilt than watch football!

Saska said...

I TOTALLY understand having to sanitize a place to lay a project on the floor.

I think I just get tired of working on projects and then start a new one 'cause it's more exciting. But, it always feels good when I finish something.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I hear you loud and clear! There simply are not enough hours in the day, nor enough scrubbed spaces, to allow us to get those projects completed! Solution: Begin new project. LOL!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I know what you mean about the 15 minutes thing. If I sit down, I don't want to be constrained to only sew for 15 minutes! Time would get away from me and it would end up being 90 minutes later before I would have to force myself to get up! lol