I've been needing some lately. Too much going on...too much to do...same boat that we are all probably in.
Recently I had to clean out a house on one of our farms that would have been perfect for the show Hoarders. The downstairs was horrible but the upstairs wasn't quite so bad. We were able to abandon the industrial dust masks and just use regular ones! Kept the rubber gloves though!
In one little cubbyhole was a wooden chest with old quilts in it. These are some of the better ones. Some are mouse chewed or badly stained. Any suggestions on cleaning them are welcome! These photos were taken in my basement where there is no room to lay them out and it's winter here so taking them outside to photograph is definitely out! So, even I haven't seen them spread out yet.
The quilting on these is amazing!
When I think of the fact that these were all made before rotary cutters and longarm quilting machines I am in awe! In fact, the very machine that possibly was used to make these was also there. It's an old treadle machine made sometime in the 1920's. Of course I hung onto that as well! It needs some TLC though.
The little guys are, I assume, doll quilts or child's quilts. They appear to be made with leftover blocks from other quilts. I am overwhelmed with these treasures. I wish I knew more about them. There are no labels or markings as far as I can see.
I have no idea what I'll do with them either. Again, any suggestions are welcome in that regard!

No comments:
Post a Comment